by Sarah Rinner, Elementary School Program Director
Shout out to Creative Action in the Austin Chronicle here!
I couldn’t resist the temptation to share my surprise and joy at reading about us. And in such a fitting category! We were named Creativity Unleashers, which is super cool. Let me tell you a few ways that we are doing this in our after school classes:
- Rubber bands and oatmeal cans make great guitars;
- We take the Magic Sidewalk when we go to Sillytown;
- Students can decide their sculptures should raise money for a good cause;
- Our teachers are more than artists: they are mad scientists, musicians, masters of magic and movie-makers;
- Students are challenged to find real solutions to relevant challenges;
- And because a roll of tape can be so much more than just a roll of tape.
That’s the great thing about unleashing student creativity–you don’t always know where they will take you, but it is an unforgettable journey!