by Mary Alice Carnes, Community Relations Director
I agree with Katie Grills, Punxsutawney Phil the ground hog’s prediction of six more weeks of winter won’t keep us at Theatre Action Project (TAP) from planning for a power-packed spring semester of programming and events. A few highlights you may want to plan on:
- Changing Lives Youth Theatre Ensemble performs Outside the Box, February 23 at 6:30 p.m. at Texas School for the Blind & Visually Impaired, in the School Theatre.
- Theatre Action Project at the Zilker Kite Festival, Sunday March 4. Visit our booth for a fun puppet show and walk away with some creative face painting. For all ages! And, we need volunteers too. If you’re interested in volunteering please contact, Katie Grills at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring Break Activity Camp for Ages 5-12, March 12 – 16, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Trinity United Methodist Church, 4001 Speedway, Austin, TX 78751
Over spring break, youth will produce their own television network: TAP TV! TAP TV! is a different kind of network – one that is socially responsible and empowers the youth of today. Our campers will work together on creative projects including: music videos, short films, public service announcements and news segments that inspire youth to make the world a better place. We invite friends and family to the network launch on Friday afternoon. Extended care available from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at an additional cost. To register, click here.
- Big Hair Country Fair, March 24 at the Salt Lick Pavilion, 7 – 11 p.m.
The event features hairdos for attendees provided on site by Birds Barbershop stylists. Guests will also enjoy all the Salt Lick BBQ they can eat, refreshments, armadillo races, carnival games and a vintage photo booth complete with costumes. Musical entertainment is provided by Western Swing band Hot Club of Cowtown and Oliver Rajamani. Proceeds benefit Theatre Action Project in Austin. TAP artists and educators work in partnership with Austin area schools and communities to lead unique and engaging arts programs allowing young people to learn critical life skills, gain tools for creative expression and have successful experiences that build self-esteem and confidence. Price: $75, tickets are now on sale on our website. For information about purchasing a table, call: 512- 442-8773.
- Youth Arts Festival, May 12
Our semester celebration of all the creative and thoughtful work our middle school and high school students have been working on this spring. The students themselves will drive the production of the festival highlighting dance, film and video, art work and creativity. For the entire family!
Mark your calendars. Check out our event calendar for further updates.