The Changing Lives Youth Theatre Ensemble is a very unique and exciting program that TAP and SafePlace created to address these social problems now, and to train leaders to generate solutions for them in the future. This program puts the powerful tools of peer education and theatre in the hands of youth and adults who want to stop the cycles of domestic and dating violence.
Each year a group of paid teen actors create an original interactive play to tour the Central Texas Area. This summer we are seeking an intern to help with our Summer Intensive: 9am-2pm, June 7-July 9. For more information on the program, go to: http://theatreactionproject.org/prog_youth_change.html
- Has completed high school
- Respects teens and is able to work well on a team
- Has excellent communication skills
- Has some knowledge or interest in issues that affect teens (specifically healthy relationships, dating violence, bullying, sexual harassment, homophobia etc.)
- Has a strong interest in using performance (theatre, dance, creative writing) to address these issues
- Has experience with devised/collaborative theatre
- Is interested in youth-centered activism
- Is available to work weekdays 9am-2pm, June 7-July 9
- Participating in the group as an ensemble member with additional leadership responsibilities
- Modeling performance skills, teamwork, a strong work ethic and making positive contributions to group discussions.
- Mentoring high school youth – making interpersonal connections with young people in a work setting.
- Occasionally leading activities and games for a theatre ensemble of 20 youth
- Leading small group work on performance projects
- Supporting the Program Directors with day to day tasks (attendance, coordinating snacks, etc.)
Please send cover letter and one letter of recommendation to Nitra Gutiérrez, Artistic Director of the Changing Lives Youth Theatre Ensemble: email@example.com.