So how are those New Year’s Revolutions coming along? Did you grab your friends and family and head out to First Night? It is never too late to start those family traditions. Family activity is the single best way to create a strong family.
- Visit the Austin Zoo.
- Get out the family photo album.
- Fly kites.
- Make a collage out of pictures from old magazines.
- Set up a lemonade stand on a warm day.
- Shoot hoops together. Play H.O.R.S.E.
- Draw pictures of members of your family.
- Play freeze-tag.
- Go for a hike.
- Go for a bike ride together.
- Go get ice cream.
- Listen to classical music, lights off, lying on the floor, and take turns saying what it sounds like.
- Attend community concerts or listen to a local band.
- Visit the library.
- Go ice skating or roller skating.
- Paint a picture, a mural or a room.
- Plant a tree or some flowers.
- Learn sign language.
- Pick berries/fruit together
- Bake cookies or bread.
- Take treats to neighbors or friends.
- Plant a garden.
- Start a family journal.
- Go to a museum.
- Play cards.
- Exercise as a family.
- Sing (in the car).
- Write a story together.
- Put a sleeping bag out in the back yard and watch the night sky through binoculars.
- Have a culture night. Make a meal and learn about another culture.
- Take photographs.
- Do yard work together.
- Go camping in your backyard
- Go for a long walk.
- Play charades.
- During dinner have every family member tell the best part of their day.
- Go dancing. Have a family dance. Take a dance class together.
- Climb a tree.
- Watch the sunset. Watch the sunrise.
- Have a big party to celebrate a TV free week.
- Have a picnic. (If it’s raining, have a picnic in the family room on a blanket.)
- Have a bubble blowing contest.
- Do bubbles outside.
- Try different instruments.
- Go miniature golfing.
- Have a family treasure hunt.
- Play hide and seek.
- Play basketball
- Teach your children something you enjoy.
- What are you already doing?
The point is to do something, anything. You need it, your kids need it.
This Sunday I’m volunteering for a family fun event; TAP will be hosting pre-show activities at the Paramount showings of Goodnight Moon & The Runaway Bunny.
Join us before the 2 and 4:30 showtimes for some family fun.
Until Next Time,
Julie Flores (Parent/Teacher/Child Advocate/TAP volunteer)