April 22nd is Earth Day! You can show how much you love our great planet on April 22nd and every day. Here are some ideas and tips for you and your family. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to talk with your family about the importance of taking care of the environment – It’s Spring, turn your family GREEN.
Why not make this simple Earth picture craft? An easy painting project all ages can enjoy. You can also use the same techniques to create your own planets!
•Age Guideline: 3 Years and Up
•Time Required: 15 minutes (Does not include drying time)
Lay a piece of wax paper down on your work surface. If you like, find a picture of the Earth for reference. Lay the coffee filter onto the wax paper.
Now you can ‘draw’ a picture of the earth on the coffee filter by using drops of blue and green food coloring. Add one drop at a time and watch how the colors spread. Once the entire coffee filter is colored, set it aside and let it dry.
The dried earth picture can be hung up in a window or attached to the front of a Happy Earth Day card!
(art project couresy of Sherri Osborn)
Other Ways to Celebrate Earth Day:
• Find out more about what Earth Day is about.
• Go for a walk and pick up garbage in the neighborhood.
• Go for a walk and pay attention to how many different kinds of plants, animals, and insects you see.
• Organize or take part in a park clean-up project.
• Visit a landfill and/or recycling center.
• Plant a garden or tree.
• Visit a nature center or wilderness area.
• Find out about different ways to save energy.
• Find out more about recycling.
• Celebrate Earth Day by reading Dr.Seuss’s The Lorax
Happy Earth Day, from Theatre Action Project!